Windows Standard Serial Communications Library for Visual Basic
The Marshallsoft serial communications component library for Visual Basic
(WSC4VB) is a serial port library based
on the Windows serial comm API. WSC4VB uses the core Windows API to communicate with any device connected
to a serial port from within a Visual Basic or VB.NET application.
A simple interface allows accessing data from a serial port using RS232 or multi-drop RS422 / RS485 serial
ports. WSC also supports virtual ports such as those created by Bluetooth and USB/serial converters. WSC
provides the capability to quickly write Visual Basic applications to control serial devices such as barcode scanners,
modems, lab instruments, medical devices, USB serial devices, scales, GPS navigation, etc.
The component library includes 46 functions plus serial line status & control, modem control,
ASCII/XMODEM/YMODEM protocols, and a good selection of VB and VB.NET example
programs. The library can be used with any version of Visual Basic (including Visual Studio .Net) or
Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).
Visual Basic Serial Communications Example Program
Features of WSC4VB include:
- Includes 64-bit (WSC64.DLL) and 32-bit (WSC32.DLL) versions.
- Free technical support and updates for one year.
- Royalty free distribution with your compiled application.
- Evaluation versions are fully functional. No unlock code is required.
- Includes 46 functions plus modem control.
- Can control any serial device (scale, barcode reader, etc.) connected to a serial port.
- Can be used from GUI mode or console mode programs.
- Can control multiple ports simultaneously.
- Can be used with virtual serial ports using Bluetooth serial or a USB to serial converter.
- Supports RS232, and multidrop RS422, and RS485 ports.
- Includes hardware and software flow control.
- Supports character peek (SioEventChar).
- Supports transmit and receive timeouts.
- Can send Windows messages on completion of events (incoming character, etc.)
- Supports any baud rate (32-bit and 64-bit versions).
- Ability to specify the parity, word size, and number of stop bits.
- Comes with ANSI emulation and ASCII, XMODEM and YMODEM.
- Supports binary and text data transfer.
- Is port re-entrant.
- State driven Xmodem and Ymodem on multiple ports simultaneously.
- Is fully thread safe.
- Supports Windows XP through Windows 10.
- Works with all versions of Microsoft Visual Studio through VS 2015.
- Works with all versions of Microsoft Visual Basic and VB.NET.
- Can be used with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) such as Excel, Microsoft Office and Access.
- Does not depend on support libraries. Makes calls to core Windows API functions only.
- Can be used with any program in any language (C/C++,.NET, Delphi, VB, VB.NET, Foxpro, etc.) that can call the Windows API.
- License covers all programming languages. Purchase a developer license for WSC4VB and use the DLLs with any other development environment (C++, Visual FoxPro, etc).
- Implemented as a standard Windows DLL, which will work with all versions of Windows.
- Will run on machines with or without .NET installed
- Can be purchased with or without ANSI C source code to the WSC DLLs.
- Documentation online as well as in printable format.
WSC4VB can be used in the development of Win32 and Win64
applications running under Windows XP through Windows 10.
The evaluation version of WSC4VB is fully functional.
Current version of the Windows Std Serial Comm Lib for VB is 5.4 (August 20, 2015).
Registration is $115 for email delivery ($195 with C language source code).
WSC4VB Programmer's Manual
WSC User's Manual
WSC Reference Manual